Friday, April 15, 2011

Why E-Waste is a Great Business Model

Pile of e-Waste / Electronic waste: A few olde...Image via WikipediaMany people question me about the company that I run. They have it stuck in their minds that e-waste is not going to last and that there is very little money in it. They simply cannot wrap their minds around the fact that e-waste is a long term and highly lucrative business model.

Why? Well it is quite simple. For years consumers have been dealing with the fact that technology advances so fast that by the time someone has made a purchase of a computer or television there is something new on the market.

While there are people that just deal with the fact that they are behind the curve a little, there are others that have to be right up there with the best and the brightest. It is the second group that makes e-waste a great business model.

The more technology advances the more obsolete other technology becomes. When technology becomes obsolete people tend to get rid of it and that is great for those that are working in e-waste.

This trend is never going to change either. Electronics companies around the world continue to research and develop new technology that will be introduced to the masses. This is something that is making my job much easier and even more lucrative.

But this does not mean that e-waste is an easy business, the exact opposite actually. While there is not a lot of brain power necessary to tear down computers and electronics it can be a lot of hard work and heavy lifting.

When I started in this industry one of my first clients was a huge automotive factory. They had recently upgraded all of their computer systems and they had a good and plenty to get rid of. I had the right size vehicle for the job but I was the only one that could lift the items. So for two hours I loaded the van full of computers and monitors as well as other assorted items.

Then I had to get it back to the shop, unload it out of the van and stack it up until it could be processed. In the meantime my wife had already lined up three other pickups. So I was already behind when I started and there was plenty more work to do.

So it can be hard work but I find it very rewarding and there is nothing wrong with a hard days work to be sure.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment