Thursday, April 14, 2011

Test it before you Scrap It!

A woman typing on a laptopImage via Wikipedia
A big mistake that many have made when dealing with electronic scrap is the assumption that everything that they get is nothing more than junk. I too was guilty of this same assumption until one day I did something that changed the way I look at the items I pickup.
When I first started dabbling in e-scrap flat panel monitors were getting hot. My wife had one thanks to her quick thinking and use of the Yahoo Freecycle groups but I was still using the old CRT monster. So I got a call from one of the computer repair shops that I deal with and was told that they had a load for me.
When I arrived there was several towers, a laptop and a flat panel monitor waiting for me. When I got the stuff back to the shop I decided, I still don’t know why, to test the monitor.
It had now come with a cord but it only required a standard AC plug so I dug one up and plugged it in. I was shocked to learn that it worked. From that point on I decided that I would check things that I received just to be sure.
These days I have some minimum standards for what I will test and then try to sell. When it comes to desktop computers I require that they be at least Windows XP with a 512mb ram setup.
The beauty of this is the fact that I can sell a very basic tower running Windows XP and capable of running on the net for about $50. This is just the tower and the price goes up if I decide to offer the monitor, mouse and keyboard. Around this area people snap them up rather quickly.
That leads us to laptops. I have received several working laptops over the years and a working laptop is a valuable laptop. Even if the laptop is older it can still be sold because they are so popular.
However, even a non-working or damaged laptop may have some value. The way we operate is this….If we get in a laptop that has some problems or maybe will not even turn on my wife will do a quick eBay search for parts laptops. If it meets the minimum that we have placed on time versus value then it will be listed. Even a broken laptop can sell for over $100.
Do the same with the flat panel monitors. We have sold a lot of them over the time that we have been involved with e-scrap and many of them didn’t work. But there are some savvy people out there that know how to work on the flat panels and who will give you a good price for them as long as the screen is intact.
Furthermore, it is surprising how often you will get a working tower with nothing more wrong with it than a virus. Many computer repair shops charge a hefty sum for ridding a computer of a virus and many people will simply tell the shop to keep the computer and get a new one.
With the internet you have the opportunity to clean these machines out and get them back on track for some fast cash. Normally just a virus removal program downloaded from the net is enough to clean a computer out and get it back on the road.
To make things easier for testing I have a station set up in my shop. There is a monitor, mouse, keyboard and standard power cord for the tower sitting on a work bench. So when I get a tower that looks promising I just plug it in and see what happens. If it is something that is simple enough and will not cost anything I will get it going.
But there is something important that you should do. Always make sure to wipe the hard drive before selling it. Data destruction is a big part of the e-scrap world and it is the responsible thing to do.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. The biggest advantage of going with a professional Junk Removal and Dumpster Rental company is that you get to sit back relax knowing the job will be done right and professionally! Thousand Oaks Junk Removal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many junk removal services will have their head offices and branches strategically located in close proximity to large housing estates, providing an exceeding convenient service to the consumer. Junk removal Thousand Oaks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates. Consumer Electronic

    ReplyDelete