Friday, April 15, 2011

Plastics, Plastics is the Way to Go

RulerImage via WikipediaThere is one thing that many in the e-waste business have to deal with is the plastic. Most of the computers and electronics in the world have some level of plastic on them. It is not all that easy to find a place that will accept the plastics.

When I first started I was using our city's recycling program to deal with the plastics. But it did not take long before the recycling guys decided that they did not want to pick up all that plastic. So I was stuck with finding something else. It was only later that I found out that the recycling guys were nearly fired for refusing to pick up the plastic because it is valuable for recycling.

Anyway it took me three days to find a place that would accept the plastic but I did not deal with them. The main reason is the fact that they were rude. When I call a company I expect to be treated as a customer should be but this was not the case.

About a week later I found a little known company that was less than an hour away from my shop. When I contacted them they were more than happy to help me with just about everything that I needed.

The fact about plastics is that they sell most times for just about the same per pound as standard steel, like the metal that is used in computer towers. The basic plastic that is used is known as ABS but some other kinds are used from time to time.

About the only thing that one must do is ensure that the plastics are separated by grade and type. The company that I am doing business with provides equipment to help with this separation.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment